Wednesday, January 25, 2017

I'm a single mom!

This blog started three years ago. It began as a way to document a very special moment in my life. The pregnancy of my third daughter, Baby O. I loved filling each of you in and interacting with everyone as she grew within my belly. It evolved into something to document my life and the things I learned as I was a stay at home mom maneuvering such a new endeavor. It was a place that I was able to testify to finding my way as a Latter Day Saint. 

On that note here is a good one.... I recently encountered the most interesting things about being a "single mom" over the past two months. Rewind a couple months, I was offered a wonderful position in a wonderful company. At a company Christmas party when my three little ladies walked in behind me ready to mingle (there are days I think I should print them their own business cards). They were troopers. They sat through dinner, they socialized with adults, some forty years their senior. I was eventually approached and asked how I could ever do my job and be a mom? I have to admit I was taken aback a little. I have never had someone be so direct or forward about my "single" status. I was recently engaged in a conversation while helping serve in a case I care deeply for and an oder woman touched on single parents. In her defense she had no idea I was a mother much less a single one. She talked about what a tragedy it is to be a single parent. How sorry she feels for these children. At one point she did eventually asked if I had a family. She was shocked I said I had three daughters. I suspect she felt no need to ask my relationship, she just assumed based on my appearance and title there was no possible way I was a single mother. Well my sweet sweet lady, I AM A SINGLE MOTHER! It is a travesty? I don't think so, it was a choice I made for the better good of my family. It was a choice I made for the sake of my own daughters future relationships.

On that note this sweet woman, lets call her Ms. Jones was right. Being a single mom is hard but, so is being a married mom. Being a mom is hard. Just because its hard does not mean it is not without its reward. The accomplishments big or small are worth the occasional slammed door (I have a preteen). The hugs and kisses are worth cereal being spill every single morning! The "I love you game" is my favorite part of the day. It is worth waking up at 4am if I want to take a shower that includes not only getting to wash my hair but, have the luxury of blow drying it too. Its worth spilled cereal and guessing what I stepped on after they have a SMALL SNACK. Totally worth the mass amounts of lip gloss my three year old manages to swipe and hoard from me. She sure does look glamours most of the time.

So here are some recent stories that married or single will make you laugh....

1. Olivia decided that she was going to be a red unicorn today while I was in the shower (see what happens when you try to shower while they are awake). What I mean by red unicorn is that she colored her entire left arm and both feet red before her sister caught her..... Oh and I mean every inch. She gets points for not missing a single spot in the five min. she had to work on her new skin color. My shower was extended to include her being scrubbed for a second time and explaining to her she can be red. By the way red is my least favorite color.

2. Madalyn is a child of fact (Lord help me)! If she wants to have a conversation and has a case to prove she comes with evidence and facts. I finally had to admit today that Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, etc. are not real. You can't lie to someone who has evidence.... Jokes on her, she lost a tooth tonight and wanted cash. I got to say you tried leaving without brushing your teeth this morning. This Tooth Fairy doesn't pay for dirty teeth! Ha!!!

3. Julia my sweet little Julia. She is such a stereotypical girl. So much so she has now mastered the art of wearing a dress to school when the high is 29 degrees. Yes, you read that right she wore a dress in 29 degree weather today. I said, "you can't wear that its to cold." She came back with leggings and a sweater layered. She looked like something you would pin on Pinerest. When she walked in the door she stripped her layers off and turned up the heater. Why? Well I didn't tell her that she couldn't wear it inside. She just made sure inside was warm enough...

I hope you enjoy reading about them as much as I do watching them and writing about them!

Love - N

No comments:

Post a Comment